Taking a picture with your smartphone and posting it on Instagram is one-two click easy, i.e. you can accomplish it within two clicks. But if you were to post the same on a non-photo-sharing website, the results may not impress you.
This is because your smartphone may have a very high-resolution camera that produces high quality and big pictures. And if the site is not designed to process these photos correctly, they will just post it as you send it.
So, what can you do to resize the images before uploading them?
The easiest way to resize a picture is to use a photo editing tool. For example, on PC, you can use MS Paint to resize your image to the desired range. Here are the steps to resize a picture on a Windows-based PC/tablet.
- Start MS paint or the paint app
- Open the image you want to resize.
- Click on the Select icon under Home tab
- Use the right click to highlight the area or the entire picture and then click on Resize
- You have the option to resize by percentage or pixels, choose whatever works best for you.
- Ensure the ‘maintain aspect ratio’ is ticked
- Click ok
While following the same steps, you can also skew the image by choosing how many degrees you want to skew them, and the axis.
You can also use tools like Irfan View, Photoscape, or Photo Gallery or any other PC based tool to resize your images.
Alternatively, you can use an online tool like PicResize to resize your images. While the steps may vary a bit, it typically follows the same principle.
While resizing always maintain the aspect ratio, otherwise your images will look like they are stretched in one dimension.